Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Ode to my best friend: The Ruffle (Part 1)




Ruffles: can't live without them... can't live without them. Or so at least I think. For all those people who despise ruffles, look away; this entry is not for you.








Why are ruffles my best friend you ask? Where to start...






Ruffles can be: dainty. feminine. soft and innocent. playful. flirty. structured and sculptural. sexy. scandalous? So versatile- you can find ruffles on everything from a first communion dress to your most provocative undergarments...






Looking at the ruffle itself, I enjoy the negative spaces and shapes created through the gathering of fabric. Ruffles can add volume in areas that seem empty, they can transform shapes and silhouettes. They can make a dress or blouse look modern or vintage, old or young. Oh how I love ruffles!






If you are anything like me and find that your body measurements are disproportionate ( for me, I am 2 sizes smaller on top than on bottom) you often need to add volume to the smaller areas to even yourself out. You may notice that a lot of what i make has ruffles and details on the top with a simpler bottom. That is because this is what is most flattering for me.
If you find that you are more triangular in shape with wider shoulders and smaller hips, you may look better with ruffles on the bottom half...




In my next blog, I will show you how to make different types of ruffles....


No comments:

Post a Comment